The Department makes its educational programs relevant by providing real-world experiential learning opportunities. As an integral part of the academic program, internships are required in various parts of the Department's curriculum, and encouraged in all.
Criminal Justice students are required to complete a semester-long, fulltime internship in order to satisfy 12 credit hours.
Public Administration students are required to complete a semester-long, fulltime internship in order to satisfy 6 credit hours.
Political Science students are urged to consider participating in an internship for 3-12 elective credits, but it is not required.
To be eligible to participate in GJS internships, students must:
- Be a declared major;
- Have completed ninety (90) semester hours;
- Have an overall G.P.A. of at least 2.0;
- Have a G.P.A. within the major of at least 2.0; and
- Any additional prerequisites, as per your checksheet
To apply for an internship, you should:
- Review the detailed information provided on the AsULearn GJS Internships page. This is your one-stop source of info about how to secure an internship.
- Complete the application (link below). Note that you must be signed into your Appstate Google account when completing the internship application form.
- Make an appointment with the Internship Director Dr. Christina May.
GJS Internship Deadlines (date by which a contract must be generated):
- Summer Internship - April 1st
- Fall Internship - July 1st
- Spring Internship - Nov 1st of the year before
IMPORTANT: Check agency websites or contact organizations directly to determine internship application deadlines. Generally, applications are submitted to organizations 10 - 12 weeks before the internship will begin. However, national and international internships often require additional processing time and some state organizations have early submission deadlines. See below for a few examples.
- U.S. Secret Service
- Summer 2018 - Application due Dec 15, 2017
- Fall 2018 - Application due April 15, 2018
- Spring 2019 - Application due August 15, 2018
- U.S. Department of State
- Fall 2018 - Application due Mar 2, 2018
- NC State Bureau of Investigation
- Summer 2018 - Application due Feb 1, 2018
- Fall 2018 - Application due May 1, 2018
- Spring 2019 - Application due Oct 1, 2018
- Charlotte/Mecklenburg Police Department
- Summer 2018 - Application due Mar 1, 2018
- Fall 2018 - Application due June 1, 2018
- Representative George Holding (NC 2nd Dist)
- Summer 2018 - Application due Feb 17, 2018
- Senator Thom Tillis
- Summer 2018 - Application due Mar 15, 2018
- Fall 2018 - Application due June 2, 2018