The Department makes its educational programs relevant to the real world by providing experiential learning opportunities beyond the classroom. As an integral part of the academic program, internships are required in various parts of the Department of Government and Justice Studies curriculum, but encouraged in all. Criminal Justice students are required to complete a semester-long, fulltime internship in order to satisfy 12 credit hours. Public Administration students are required to complete a semester-long, fulltime internship in order to satisfy 6 credit hours. Again, we also strongly encourage our other Political Science students to consider electing an internship in exchange for 3-6 elective credits. To be eligible to participate in GJS internships, students must:
- Be a declared major;
- Have completed ninety (90) semester hours;
- Have an overall G.P.A. of at least 2.0;
- Have a G.P.A. within the major of at least 2.0; and
- Any additional prerequisites, as per your checksheet
Using the below link, make an appointment with the internship director, Mr. Derrick Lail:
- Be prepared to discuss our internship needs.
- Develop a list of possible internship sites with Mr. Lail
- Bring your completed internship application (link below) and a copy of your transcript to the meeting.
- Mr. Lail's Google Calendar
- Internship Application for CJ Majors (PDF, 126 KB)
- Internship Application for PS/PA Majors (PDF, 104 KB)
Contact the Internship Director, Derrick Lail at 828-262-6871 or by email at email@example.com if you have any questions.