The Department of Government and Justice Studies aspires to include a diverse group of faculty, staff, and students. We embrace and value the diversity of all our members. It is our stated goal to be inclusive and mindful of this diversity in our Departmental policies, programs, classrooms, and interactions with others. As an interdisciplinary department, we take pride in the fact that our backgrounds and perspectives vary. We embrace the diverse experiences of individuals, communities, cultures, and nations and understand that those experiences enrich and inform the teaching, research, and service of all Departmental members.
We have chosen to formalize our commitment to a departmental culture of support and respect for all voices. This includes the voices we already have and those we hope to include. In striving to broaden diversity within our interdisciplinary Department, we are committed to growing our Department with individuals who have demonstrated a sensitivity to and commitment to diversity and/or who have expressed their commitment to nurturing and enhancing diversity in their teaching, research, and service careers.
We are committed to:
- Maintaining a supportive and inclusive environment with zero tolerance for harassment and bullying.
- Inviting and encouraging diverse perspectives through active recruitment of under-represented populations.
- Actively and intentionally incorporating educational and research content that reflects diverse ways of understanding our world.
- Identifying and working together toward the elimination of cultural, structural, and institutional barriers to inclusivity and success.
- Listening to feedback, engaging in dialogue, and learning from our mistakes.
- Continuously re-evaluating our progress towards our aspirations.
There is always work to be done and we aspire to continually improve. Therefore, this is a living document – changing and growing over time with the Department's commitment to diversity and inclusion.