Areas of Expertise & Interest:
- Organized Crime
- Ph.D. (1996) Criminal Justice, SUNY Albany
- M.S. (1989) Criminal Justice, California State University, Sacramento
- B.S. (1988) Criminal Justice, California State University, Hayward
- Police Process
- Forensic Investigation
- Organized Crime
- Conspiracies, Cover-ups, and Crimes
- Police and Society
- Introduction to Criminal Justice (CJ 1100)
- Police Process (CJ 2020)
- Corrections (CJ 3420)
- Forensic Investigation (CJ 3535)
- Conspiracies, Cover-ups, and Crimes (CJ 3534)
- Contemporary Police Issues (CJ 4620)
- Private Security (CJ 4580)
- Organized Crime (CJ 4680)
- Law Enforcement (CJ 5535)
Dr. Mullen's work has appeared in: National Institute of Justice, Community Policing Consortium; Police Studies; Criminal Justice Policy Review, South African Journal of Criminology, and various chapters and non-referred publications
- Joined ASU in 1992
- Past President, North Carolina Criminal Justice Association
- Advisor of the Year: 2000-2001 for the College of Arts and Sciences
- Teacher of the Year: 1996-97 for the College of Arts and Sciences presented by the ASU Student Government Association
- Nominated "Teacher of the Year:1994-95" for the College of Arts and Sciences by the ASU Student Government Association
- Nominated "Teacher of the Year:1998-99" for the College of Arts and Sciences by the ASU Student Government Association
- Faculty Advisor: Forensic Science Club 2000-Present
- Faculty Advisor: Student Veterans Association 1993-present (winner of "Best New Student Organization: 1994-95")
- Faculty Advisor: Criminal Justice Club: 1994-95
Crime on Campus: A survey of Space Users. Crime Prevention and Community Safety: An International Journal Vol 3 n 4 (Fall 2001): 33-46. (With Matthew B. Robinson)
Gang Membership: Opportunity, Poverty, and Rebelliousness. South African Journal of Criminology Vol 10 no 2 (1997):1-8. (with James Houston)
A Planned Change Perspective in Community Policing National Institute of Justice, Community Policing Consortium (1997) http://www.commuitypolicing.org/publications (with Michael L. Barker)
"The Computerization of the Police: Fitting Technology to Style." Police Computer Review Vol 4 no 2. (1995): 17-21.
"California's Agencies on Computer's Cutting Edge." The Peace Officers Research Association of California's Vol 26 no. 8 (1994): 21.
"Cross-Deputization in Indian Country." Police Studies Vol 16 no. 4 (Winter 1993): 157-66. (with Michael L. Barker).
"A Perspective on Determinate Sentencing," Criminal Justice Policy Review Vol 4 no. 3 (Fall 93): 201-13. (with M.G.Neithercutt and B.G. Carmichael).
Levels of Software Adoption by City Police Agencies. in Criminal Justice Technology in the 21st Century, pp 65-82. Edited by Laura J. Moriarty and David L. Carter. Springfield, Il: Charles C. Thomas Publisher: 1998.
August Vollmer in Encyclopedia of Criminology. Edited by Richard A. Wright. Chicago: Fitzroy-Dearborn: 2002 (forthcoming).
O.W. Wilson in Encyclopedia of Criminology. Edited by Richard A. Wright. Chicago: Fitzroy-Dearborn: 2002 (forthcoming).
RICO in Encyclopedia of American Conspiracy Theories. Edited by Peter Knight. Santa Barbara, Ca.: ABC-CLIO Publishers: 2003 (forthcoming)
Alan Burg in Encyclopedia of American Conspiracy Theories. Edited by Peter Knight. Santa Barbara, Ca.: ABC-CLIO Publishers: 2003 (forthcoming)
Title: Director of MSCJC Program, Associate Professor of Criminal Justice
Department: Department of Government and Justice Studies
Email address: Email me
Phone: (828) 262-6096